Frequently asked questions

  1. How can I get a copy of my current year's tax return?
    Once your tax return is completed, we will forward a request to your email to view, and or print your tax return from a secure file sharing site.
  2. How can I get a copy of my prior year's tax return?
    G. Lewis and Associates keeps a copy of the last 3 years of tax returns. You can request a copy by contacting us via email or telephone. if you need to go back further than 3 years, copy the link below:
  3. How long does it take to get a refund?
    The time it takes to receive a refund, depends on the method in which you filed. If your tax return was filed electronically, your refund should arrive within 21-28 business days. For more information on 'where's my refund' copy the link below:
  4. What will happen if I file after April 15th?
    If your tax return is filed after the deadline date and you owe taxes, the IRS / State Tax agencies will calculate late filing fees. These include : late filing fees, failure to pay on time fee, and Interest from date the payment was due. It's best to file a tax extension. If you are due a refund, there are no fees, BUT you have 3 years to claim your refund.
  5. What is the difference between Standard Deduction and Itemized Deduction?
    The standard deduction is a set dollar amount that will reduce the amount of taxes you owed. Itemized deductions are not preset. The taxpayer can itemize using: Medical expense. State tax paid, mortgage interest, charitable donations, casualty losses. However, you cannot deduct both Standard and Itemized. It's best to choose the greater of the two.
  6. What determines marital status for tax purposes?
    In most cases your marital status is based on what your status was on Dec 31st. If you got married on Dec 31st your status for the year you got married is Married filing a joint return. If you got divorced on Dec 31st, your marital status is now single (or head of household if you have dependent children).
  7. What is the differnece between a refundable credit and a tax credit?
    A refundable credit is a preset amount and if not used up after a $0.00 tax liability provides a refund: (examples: Earned income credit, Education Credits). A tax credit reduces a tax payers balance due but will not necessarily result in a refund (examples: life time learning credit, etc.)
  8. Who can I claim as a dependent on my tax return?
    Anyone for whom you provide over fifty (50) percent of their living expenses can be claimed on your tax return. However, everyone's situation is different. The best way to determine is to go to:
You can edit text on your website by double clicking on a text box on your website. Alternatively, when you select a text box a settings menu will appear.